photo by Frank Mullin
J. received his BFA from the Hartford Art School with a major in design and a minor in printmaking. He soon worked for Weymouth design in Boston doing annual report work for three years before breaking off and starting HCd in the summer of 2000. While at Weymouth, he learned all the nuances of handling clients, typesetting financial reports, art directing photographers and illustrators, conducting client meetings, and preparing and overseeing printers, not to mention many many late nights of work under deadline. This expertise formed a basis for the company and he likes to think he is constantly learning.
In 2006 J. and business partner Michael Lozano turned a former WT Grant department store in Pawtucket into office space for creative professionals. J. also maintains ArtInRuins.com, which profiles and documents historic buildings and industrial structures around Northern RI.
J is an amateur photographer, skateboarder and seafood lover (as in, he eats that stuff up, not keeps them as pets).
Featured In (Press):
- Interviewed for WBRU's The Brief by Maggie Lange as a representative from ArtInRuins.com, July 20 2009.
- Interviewd by Vikki Warner for Providence Monthly, July issue 2009.
- Interviewed and photographed for Providence Pheonix's Almost Famous by Frank Mullin, April 2008.
- Interviewed for and included in the essay Providence: Relational Aesthetics and the Underground by Lauren Rosati, 2008.
- Featured in the Providence Business News (link here), as the owner and designer of ArtInRuins.com and the owner of Highchair designhaus, July 24 2006.
- Featured in the Pawtucket Times’ Special Section, Momentum, as the owner and designer of ArtInRuins.com, May 27 2006.
- Interviewed for 88.1's Off the Beat as the owner and designer of ArtInRuins.com by Addie Goss. Produced by Will Bowling, March 20, 2006.
- Received the Volunteer of the Year 2005 award from the Providence Preservation Society.
- Wrote a catalog essay for Scott Lapham’s Bearing Witness photography show, October 2005.
- Providence Monthly April 2005, “Urban Revival”, Laura Rosati; interviewed for the cover story about mill redevelopment as an ArtInRuins.com representative.
- AS220 Newsletter, March 2005; part-author of an article entitled “How to keep the Arts from Dying of Old Age”.
- Providence Phoenix, December 2004, “The Apex of Potential”, Tim Lehnert; interviewed for an article about the Apex building in Pawtucket, RI as an ArtInRuins.com representative.
- Providence Monthly, May 2004, “Change in Scenery”, Alison Fields; interviewed for an article about an art show that J curated.
- Providence Monthly, March 2004, “Focus on Downcity”, Laura Kline; interviewed for an article about urban renewal.
- Indiefonts – A compendium of Digital Type; Published by P-Type Publications, edited by Richard Kegler, James Grieshaber, & Tamye Riggs 2002.
- The Designer’s Guide to Web Type; Published by HBi, edited by Kathleen Ziegler & Nick Greco, 2001.